Stale Fedora Hosted Projects (revisited)

Brett Lentz wakko666 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 23:50:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 18:14 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Brett Lentz wrote:

> > > Not really, thats kind of what I'm probing about.  People didn't like the
> > > 6 month rule so I'm fine getting rid of that.  But someone needs to be
> > > accountable for the code itself at all times and I'm hoping to have some
> > > policy in place that clearly states it.
> > >
> > > 	-Mike
> >

> > I'd prefer to not see orphaned projects go away completely, if there is
> > some way to keep them around in a stripped down, minimalist format.
> >
> > The process I'd like to see would be:
> >
> > 1. Do the usual 6 month project no-activity process.
> > 2. If there is no response in N days, or mail to the project admin
> > bounces in a fatal way (i.e. "no such user" vs. "mailbox full"), we call
> > out to the general fedora-devel community to see if anyone wants to
> > adopt the project and become its new maintainer.
> > 3. If no new maintainer is found, we would then migrate the project to a
> > central repository for orphaned projects.
> >

> For how long would 3) happen?
>
> 	-Mike

I think that it depends on our constraints. Perhaps we could measure our rate of
growth, and strike a balance between maintaining an orphaned projects archive and
our available resources?

As this is one of those "nice to have" type of deals, I would expect these archived
files to be first on the chopping block if we need to free up infrastructure
resources for something that's more actively maintained.

If you want to set a more firm SLA, how does 2 years (one RHEL release cycle) sound?

--

---Brett.