Stale Fedora Hosted Projects (revisited)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 00:31:23 UTC 2008

Nigel Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 01:59 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Nigel Jones wrote:
>>> IIRC the GPL at least requires that the code be kept for 3 years (hence
>>> why we can't clean the look-a-side cache from memory).
>>>
>> AFAIK that only goes to /distribution/ under GPLv2 section 3b, not the
>> "upstream" SCM, but then again I'm not sure and it may be worthwhile
>> looking into the requirements of the Licenses of the software in these SCMs.
> Distribution is very loose in my terms.
>
> Technically by distributing the source code, we are errr acting as a
> distribution point.  IANAL but that's my view.

Perhaps.  But the GPLv2 portion that has the three year clause deals
with distributing binaries.  Upstream SCM would be releasing source, so
that doesn't apply.  If the upstream on fedorahosted was releasing
binary tarballs then it might be a little greyer.  Although one would
hope they were releasing both binary tarballs and source tarballs.  Then
it would fall under a different clause with no timeframe.

-Toshio