Stale Fedora Hosted Projects (revisited)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 21:56:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 13:36 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> Whomever distributes the binaries is responsible for ensuring source
> is available, either concurrently (ideally)(such as GPLv2 3a), or via
> offer-to-provide-source-on-media (GPLv2 3b).
>
> If binaries are not distributed from fedorahosted, then fedorahosted
> is not responsible for providing source for any length of time.
>
> If binaries _are_ distributed from fedorahosted, e.g. compiled bits
> put into releases/, then I would expect fedorahosted to concurrently
> carry the source code used to build those binaries.  Yes, this should
> be fedorahosted policy.  It keeps us 100% out of the GPLv2 3b time
> bomb.

I would think of Fedorahosted just as i would think of a paid colo
facility.  Just because I may have offered software for download via the
colo facility, and then I terminate my account (either due to ending a
contract, or breach of contract) doesn't put the colo facility on the
legal hook for software I may have hosted there.

Same goes for Fedorahosted.  We can have a clear agreement as to what
would breach one's "contract" with Fedorahosted, and that Fedorahosted
is not responsible for any legal obligations regarding source
availability.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!