Messaging SIG - proposal for our notification infrastructure

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 00:37:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, John Palmieri wrote:

> Hey everyone.  I put up a proposal[1] that describes a publish/subscribe setup for the infrastructure wide notification system.  I haven't quite gotten to the publish side of things because the QMF docs get a little hazy there but the meat of the proposal is there and I wanted to get feedback sooner than later.  An event/notification system is important to the work I need to do going forward.  I specifically avoided method invocation and properties/statistics as they can be added in a later round if we feel we need them.  I do feel statistics might be nice (for instance keeping track of information that is expensive to do via a query but cheap to update based on events) but they are a bonus that we don't need right away.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Messaging_SIG/PublishSubscribeNotificationProposal

Hey John, thanks for putting this together.  I'm glad I can finally move
the messaging infrastructure beyond just an SMTP replacement :)  I'd like
to get some specific use cases in place on that page too.

Also just so I can get a list together, if you're experienced with AMQP
just reply to this email with a "I am" so we can discuss security and
implementation considerations.