Seeking comments on my proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:46:42 UTC 2009

On 08/19/2009 06:29 PM, Steven M. Parrish wrote:
>> On 08/18/2009 11:19 AM, Steven M. Parrish wrote:
>>> Got the outline of my proposal here
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SugarZilla
>>>
>>> I welcome any comments
>>
>> I dislike the idea of anonymous opening of bugs and anonymous commenting
>> in bugzilla.  It's not clear from the proposal if that's a proposed
>> feature or not.  Can you clarify if it is and if so, how you'll minimize
>> the problem of:
>> 1) SPAM
>> 2) Bug reports with insufficient information to fix the problem with no
>> point of contact to get additional information.
>>
>> -Toshio
>
> I haven't had time to fully check out ABRT but are they requiring the user to
> have a valid bugzilla account?  If I remember the original discussion around
> ABRT at FUDCon Boston was not to require one.

I can see that being a good thing but I'm not sure it got implemented.
abrt-bugzilla has a config file in /etc/abrt/plugins/Bugzilla.conf that
has this::

# your login has to exist, if you don have anyone, please create one
Login =
# your password
Password =

It looks like we (Fedora packager) could fill those in with a bz user
and password pair to give the equivalent of anonymous reporting to users
but have chosen not to at the moment.

> SPAM can be handled through a captcha if needed.

<nod>. So that would be a requirement before hooking it up to production bz.

> As far as not being able to contact the reporter, that is why they have the
> option of being cc'd to the report.  They will be advised when filing the bug
> that without a point of contact if the developer has questions and cannot
> contact them that the bug could be closed as insufficient info.
>
> There are still some finer points which need to be worked out.

<nod>  That makes sense although finding better and better ways to get
the reporter to CC will be good.  Might also want to ask the triage team
if they might want to go through these types of bugs and triage them for
more information and close them if there's no reporter on CC right off
the bat or something.

-Toshio