FAS Plugins and planet feeds

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 01:03:48 UTC 2009

I had a look at adding ivazquez's fas plugin for storing planet feeds
and hackergotchi images in fas.  Doing that will allow us to query the
information from other resources (notably, myfedora would like to get
that information).

Looking at the code there's a few design decisions we need to make in FAS:

1) It requires its own db table instead of making use of the configs
table.  This is different than we thought about for plugins but perhaps
there's no way to shoe-horn what we want into a strict no-new-db-schema
mold?  itbegins, I'm curious what you guys have done in zikula for
plugins storing data since you've got a longer history and greater need
for doing this well.

2) It has a group for having a planet feed unlike the present CLA + 1
other group.

3) It allows for planet admins who are separate from the sysadmin group.
 (I think this is a positive).

4) We might want to associate hackergotchi with person rather than feed.
 Pro: We can confidently use it in other places as an icon for the
person.  Con: Things like the "Application of the week" feed should have
their own image.

Thoughts, comments, etc welcomed here.

-Toshio
I guess I need to take this to the list for input.