Automating hosted projects?

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 03:43:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:22:03PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 17:13 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Hi Infrastructure team,
> >
> > Not sure if this inquiry belongs here or on websites, but I'll start
> > here.  Personally my experience has been that the Fedora admins act on
> > requests for Fedora Hosted projects requests very quickly.  Some
> > potential contributors may want or need more instantaneous results,
> > and I would hate to see folks going to somewhere like Google Code if
> > we can keep their projects more open and transparent (and portable) to
> > the community.
> >
> > Does the team have any sense as to whether we could further
> > automate the Fedora Hosted project creation process?
>
> imo -1. Part of the benefit of the process being manual is that a little
> sanity checking is applied.
>
> if someone needs hosting RIGHT NOW, then they can use their fedorapeople
> account for the hour or two it'll take for someone from fedora
> infrastructure to get to it.
>
> Making it instantaneous and automatic just makes it prone to abuse.

I agree with this statement -- I'd rather have people manually checking
requests as they come rather than manually checking each automated
request and possibly going through a revocation process if any abuse
were to arise.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36