Automating hosted projects?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 27 13:19:50 UTC 2009

> seth vidal wrote:
>
> > imo -1. Part of the benefit of the process being manual is that a little
> > sanity checking is applied.
>
> Can that be automated?

Can't we automate manual checking? Do you understand that the word
'manual' is opposite to the word 'automate'?
If you automate it then it is no longer manual.
If it is manual, then it is not automatic.

> > Making it instantaneous and automatic just makes it prone to abuse.
>
> http://repo.or.cz/ seems to do it well. So do other bigger project
> hosting sites.

If by 'it' you mean "have a giant pile of unmaintained pkgs that no one
is updating or caring for and are just wasting space", then yes,
repo.or.cz does that very well.

-sv