Fedora Project, Stack Overflow and OpenID

Mat Booth fedora at matbooth.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 19:29:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 3:21 AM, stackoverflow
team<team at stackoverflow.com> wrote:
> more info here:
> http://code.google.com/p/dotnetopenid/issues/detail?id=186
>
> I have confirmed that the https://login.launchpad.net/+openid OP endpoint is
> not
> sending the session_type parameter back in the associate direct response
> message.
>
> This OP seems to implement OpenID 2.0 (it sends the 'ns' parameter back),
> yet OpenID
> 2.0 mandates that session_type is NOT an optional parameter.  In OpenID 1.x,
> it WAS
> an optional parameter.  This is a common bug for OPs and I will talk to
> launchpad.net
> about getting this bug fixed on their end.

> 2.0 spec: http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-2_0.html#anchor20

Hi,

I set up an instance of our OpenID provider so I can test on my local
machine, but the StackOverflow login doesn't even get as far as it
does with the operational instance. It just fails with a web request
failed error.

Compare the results of trying to log into StackOverflow from my test
instance URL[1] with the results from the operational instance URL[2].

Could this be because I'm using a non-standard port number on the test
instance? It seems to be set up correctly because I can log into
ThinkWiki[3], for example on both the test and operational instances.

Regards,
Mat

[1] http://www.matbooth.co.uk:8088/accounts/openid/id/test4
[2] http://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/openid/id/mbooth