svn-to-git mirroring

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 14:19:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Jim Meyering wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > I just don't like the precident of "I want to do X with my project and you
> > don't support it, let me log in and do it myself."  I'm also trying to
> > make sure the pros of this outweigh the cons.
>
> I'm convinced that this would be generally useful.  The proof is easy
> to see when you count the number of ad-hoc maintained git mirrors of svn
> repositories.  However, the individual-maintained ones, while convenient
> do come at a price.  You have to trust the person doing the job not
> just to do it properly and regularly, but also to run a tight enough
> system that no one will ever crack it and sneak in a commit that adds
> a modified build or test script that will open a hole in your firewall.

If people want git repos... why aren't they using git?  I'd say go ahead
and set it up so we can take a look and see if it'll work.  Fedora Hosted
is a value added part of our infrastructure, meaning it's not the focus of
what we do, it currently costs almost $0 to support.  I don't want to end
up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ziwuIpnVY

As cool as that is every time you add something, the system gets more
complex and more difficult to support, especially when we start to get
turnover on something someone put in.  It sounds like Nigel's already
sponsored this project so have at it.  Lets see how it goes.