svn-to-git mirroring

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 14:29:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 09:05 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> > > So are you two working on a svn mirroring solution for Fedora Hosted svn
> > > projects?  Or just a couple of one offs for your own hosted repos?
> >
> > I don't like "one off" solutions at all.
> >
> > We will start clearly with one project to drive the tests.
> >
> > If the test drive results in some good, then we will make it generally
> > available. There is no point to keep a secret either.
> >

> I just don't like the precident of "I want to do X with my project and you
> don't support it, let me log in and do it myself."  I'm also trying to
> make sure the pros of this outweigh the cons.

Just to be 100% clear, we were talking with people on #fedora-admin
today about setting this up or do a test drive and they suggested for us
to apply to those groups and drive the initiative ourselves.
(i would really recommend you to read the IRC logs)

I am absolutely happy to do so and drive something constructive. Jim
already has given you input on why we want to do it as there is clearly
a general need for it.

I understand your concern of "I want to do X with my project and you
don't support it, let me log in and do it myself." but this is not the
case. Again, we were encouraged to join those teams to help directly.

So what we want to do is:

- use one our project as test drive (yes, so if it doesn't work we will
not interfere with anybody else).
- verify what changes are required at an infrastructure level.
- pass those through the other sysadmins for review/checks.
- do more testing to make sure the system is indeed stable and robust
- make it available as general option.

Clearly.. if the thing doesn't work reliably or .. or.. the process can
cleanly halt at any time.

Fabio