Please test our new calendering solutions.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 17:52:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 10:11 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Simon Birtwistle <simon at zikula.org> wrote:
> >> For testing purpose, I have tried out many solutions, but the two most
> >> suitable contenders are
> >> 1.Zikula
> >> 2.Citadel
> >

> I'd like to throw in my previous email as a reference for this exact
> purpose.  There was a long discussion[1] around which I already
> created a list of potential calendaring solutions[2].  Of which, we
> need to evaluate those as well since from what I can see, neither of
> these solutions allow me to update the calendar (my personal or a
> group calendar) with the caldav server type functionality.  Maybe I
> missed that, but I think that's an integral part of the need for a
> calendaring solution IMO.  if you follow the discussion held a while
> ago, the list suggested becomes more integral to the scheduling
> functionality needed in Fedora.
>
> I'm still under the impression that we should set up test servers for
> these other systems too as most (if not all) are FOSS as well and
> better fit the needs of a full calendaring free/busy type solution.

Just wanted to back up Clint on this: as the guy who started the ball
rolling, CalDAV support was one of the deal-breakers for me. I don't
think we can expect everyone to work through a web front end, it's
important to have the flexibility to let people access the calendar and
publish to it via their PIM client (or even via, say, Google Calendar,
which has CalDAV support these days).

Google finds some references to Citadel planning CalDAV support, but
they seem sketchy and not currently active.

Thanks a lot to you guys for your work on this! Of the two current test
systems, I agree with Neville's comments: zikula is the nicer because
it's a simple calendar-based layout. Citadel is nice, but it's a
complete groupware system, which isn't exactly what we're trying to put
in place here - we're not trying to provide people with email and
contact management, doing that via the Fedora project doesn't really
make sense.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey