FAD Fedora Talk tech items

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:47:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 02:11:47PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Two tech items I wanted to clear up for Fedora Talk FAD:
>
> First, qe discussed earlier using softphones for consistency and less
> equipment-lugging.  Didn't hear any votes against so that's all we're
> planning at this point.  It also makes sense to concentrate on that
> use because the majority of people using Fedora Talk are likely using
> softphones.
>
> Second, network setup at the site.  I talked to the owner of the
> office we'll be using and he says they have a wide-open wireless,
> *and* a wired connection we can feel free to use which is the same
> thing their wireless plugs into.  I'm going to scoot over there on
> Friday if I can, and test how things work with a softphone.  I didn't
> get any hints from anyone on what special tests I needed to do beyond
> trying to hook up to Fedora Talk and make and receive a call, so
> that's all I plan to do unless someone tells me otherwise.

Status update -- I visited the site today.  Although I couldn't get in
the physical office (they don't open 'til 9, and I was there at 8:30),
the wifi was available.  It's open and I was able not only to SSH out
to some of my boxes, including alternate ports, but also to connect to
Fedora Talk using Twinkle, and send myself a voice message.  All
appearances are that the network is completely open so we should be
able to do everything we need to at the site.

Unless someone thinks that's insufficient testing, I'm going to be
reserving the office by paying these guys over the weekend.  Please
speak now if you think I missed something.