FTF (FedoraTalk FAD) IRC Prep meeting :: 2009-10-13 @ 19:00 UTC (3 PM EDT/12 PM PDT)

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Oct 14 17:46:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:58:20 -0400,
>  Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > 3) <jcollie> one thing that i though of today is the ability to log in using
>> > the fas voip credentials from a cell phone when using the did numbers
>> >  --after meeting question from John, "What exactly does this mean and how
>> > would it be used? What would it improve that we can't do now?"
>>
>> I think that the use case for this is that I'm away, but I need to
>> call $CONTRIBUTOR and I want them to know that it's me instead of some
>> random cell phone number, so we should be able to login and have it
>> come from our extension.
>
> Would caller id with the person's cell phone number solve this problem?
> If so, that might be easier to handle.

Yes/no.  Yes, in that the system should pass through your cell phone
number to the callee.  No, in that a significant number of people
wouldn't want their personal cell phone number being passed on to the
callee.  Also, you might not recognize most people's cell phone
numbers, plus there may be many cases where caller id information
isn't sent or is incorrect etc.

>> Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong.  And I thought the meeting was at 3PM
>> EST, have I failed yet again?  I'm incredibly busy with $DAYJOB as
>> well :(
>
> It was pretty short. It was over by 2000 UTC when I got back. If you look
> at the log, you'll see it went pretty quick.
>
> If you want to add to the wish list, I would like to eventually be able to
> forward calls to another sip server. Right now I sort of handle this (but
> something is broken) by having my asterisk box register with the fedora
> talk server so it can get calls. But I get so few calls (none except for
> my test calls) that I think it would be significantly less overhead to
> have a forwarding ability rather than have to essentially poll from my
> end.

We're handling this as one-off items that need someone from F-I to set
up - for example both Dennis Gilmore and I have IAX trunks set up.

--
Jeff Ollie