Suitability of Python for daemon processes

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 03:28:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 05:08:03PM -0400, Mike McLean wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
>
> The daemon distinction might be wrong thing to fixate on here. There
> is nothing in that distinction that should exclude python (or most any
> language). I think the real factors of concern are: size, complexity,
> speed, system load, robustness, and security.

<nod> By and large I agree with you. One thing further to think about is that
becoming dependent on a tool written in an interpreted language means that
you need to install that language on your system and may become tied to a
specific version of that language.  In theory, this shouldn't be worse than
tying yourself to a specific C library but in practice I've found that
parallel installing interpreters and their libraries is a lot less supported
than parallel installing a C lib.

Using python in Fedora Infrastructure probably isn't too big a deal as we
have abundant python programmers here to port things forward if the main
developers don't but it is something to consider with other languages or
in other environments.

-Toshio