FAD -- startin' early

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:13:16 UTC 2009

I constructed a page on the wiki for an upcoming FAD where some
contributors are going to work on some long-standing Fedora Talk
related tickets.  Details are here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Fedora_Talk_2009

There's a list of related tickets on the page, namely #s 309, 395,
453, and 1160, that we're going to try to knock out that weekend.
To a large extent they're duplicates, but they all revolve around
extending the Fedora Talk capabilities.

We're going to be conversing on this list since obviously the work's
primarily, maybe even wholly, infrastructure-related.  Below is a bit
of introductory email from last night that I wanted to make sure was
captured transparently here.

Comments follow...

Jeff C. Ollie wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> OK guys, now that we have the travel stuff sorted out, hopefully
>> everybody has had time to check out the FAD page:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Fedora_Talk_2009
>>
>> Our primary goals are to create:
>>
>>    * On-demand recording and publishing (or at least dumping into a
>>      holding pen)
>>
>>    * Streaming capability for live events (it completely works +
>>      documentation on exactly how to set it up and operate at a live
>>      events)
>
> It'd be nice if there was some easy tool that people could
> yum-install that would make it easy to set up a VoIP soft phone for
> Fedora Talk.  That is probably outside the scope of the FAD, but
> could be an idea for someone wanting to get into the Fedora
> Infrastructure group to work on.

You know what would work really well?  A package with a dogtail
script, that used the appropriate HTML tags so that PackageKit can
download dogtail and deps for you, then run the script.  You can
actually see things running and therefore know how to do it later.

(Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Dogtail has got a lot of recent
love.  It's been consistently rebuilt but I'm not sure it works, which
is a shame -- it's really useful and it took me just a few minutes to
learn how to write a script for Dogtail.)

I do agree that's not something we should worry about until everything
else gets done, or if anyone in the listening audience is keen on it,
that might make a cool project through which you could learn a *lot*
about being involved in Fedora.

>> First order of business, I'd like to move this conversation to the
>> right list.  What would that be?  Logistics?  Is this truly >
>> cross-team work?  Or is there a better place, like Infrastructure?
>
> +1 on the Fedora Infrastructure list.

And... here we are! :-)

>> I'm also hoping that John Poelstra will help us by guiding this as a
>> small project, helping us suss out the next questions to ask (for
>> example, What is our desired end state?  What resources do we need
>> that we can set up now? etc.).
>
> We'll need one or two guests with hopefully direct access to the
> Internet, VoIP and NAT/Firewalls don't always get along.  Disk space
> can be minimal at this point, we'll need to add more later for
> archives.  If we have to go through NAT/Firewalls we'll need to get
> holes poked through before hand for SIP & RTP traffic.
> Alternatively we could run our test system off of a spare box at
> Paul's house, which could be nice if the system gets borked up.
> Once a box for a test system is figured out we'd want to get a
> minimal Asterisk system up and running.

Our location is set right now to be a coworking office in the area.
I'll find out more network details to see what they can support,
although I suspect they aren't blocking much there.  I can even stop
by the facility early next week to do any testing, if someone can tell
me what I need to test.

> Probably want to look at getting Asterisk 1.6.2 packaged.  It's
> still in release candidate, but 1.6.2 has new conferencing software
> that isn't hacked in by a 3rd party or requires a kernel module.
> Since F13 early branching is happening soon we can develop the
> package there and then backport it to RHEL or whatever we end up
> running the service on.

Cool idea, Jeff.

> Getting the latest flumotion version packaged would be good too, as
> flumotion would be my choice for doing the streaming of live events.
>
> Having a supply of spare headsets on hand would be good.  I have one
> that I keep in my laptop case, but it would be nice to have them on
> hand so someone doesn't have to run out and get some at the last
> minute.

OK, any participants who don't have a USB headset they can bring
should let me know.

> Do we want to mess around with hard phones?  I'm assuming that Jared
> can get his hands on a few but time spent on setting those up is
> probably going to be time taken away from other tasks.

I'd say no, it's really all about what we're doing on the server(s)
and softphones should be fine.  But I yield to the experts...

> Well, that's all I can think of for now...
>
>> John, maybe you can help figure out if we're setting up the right
>> questions here, and are using the next 4 weeks as wisely as
>> possible so that, for example, we don't have to brainstorm
>> on-site.  Instead, that will be done on the list in advance, and
>> then we will be able to hit more significant milestones > during
>> the 2+ days we have.
>
> FYI, I'll have extremely limited e-mail access from now until Sunday evening...

Noted.  You may not see this until then, and that's fine.