Pre-release kernel versioning

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Apr 29 19:08:33 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 03:03:42PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

 > So, what will we do in the future? Can we (after F7 is out and rawhide
 > rolls again) please switch to something less confusing where version
 > somehow allows normal users to clearly see what kernel they got? And one
 > that doesn't confuse outside modules? Something like
 >
 > kernel-2.6.22-1.3200.fc7.rc2.git15

How does this help up until rc1 ?
For example right now, upstream is 2.6.21-git2, yet there's
14MB of patches already, (and much more to come before .22rc1)
so it's clearly not .21 and is likely to break anything
that relies upon kernel interfaces not changing vs .21
and it's not .22 either yet.

the package versioning isn't whats relevant here, it's the
versioning in version.h that broken external drivers
insist on comparing against instead of comparing against
#defines to check for features.

Finally, there are cases where we'll change a prototype
of a function in Fedora vs upstream when we backport
something early, or develop some new feature etc, so
just matching the version number isn't a panacea anyway.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk