macrofied kernel.spec

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 21:18:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:52:44PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Only other thing I'm seeing right now, though its probably been this way
> > forever, is that we're a bit inconsistent about whether we use %{name}
> > or just 'kernel' in %package and %description.
>
> That matters when doing the variant-source packages like kernel-vanilla,
> which I haven't tested lately.  For the "install the kernel-foo package"
> parts of %description, %{name}-foo might be better since it will make the
> literal instructions match the intended reality for that case.
>
> For the provides/requires some are intended to be %{name} and some kernel.
> i.e., %{name}-debuginfo-common-%{_target_cpu}, but kernel-drm.

On the kernel-xen package, it gets more complicated: because the source
package name is 'kernel-xen-2.6', I need to replace most of %{name}
occurrences with 'kernel' (I defined a macro for that, %{pkgbasename})
and use "-n %{pkgbasename}-variant" on %package, %description, %files,
and other sections.

I don't know if the %{pkgbasename} change would be desirable for the
main kernel package, but with the new macros, making the changes to use
it instead of %{name} on kernel-xen will be easier.

--
Eduardo