Bugzilla Bug 250377: External modules of removed kernels are not removed

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 23:06:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 17:43 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> >> On the surface, I don't see why the couldn't. I suppose we should prod
> >> Matt Domsch on why he's against using triggers for dkms, since his
> >> objection in the bug doesn't list any details...
> >
> > Triggers run at not exactly the time you expect them to.  Which makes
> > them a little bit less helpful.  Really, you want to plug-in after
> > depmod, etc are run but before the initrd is made.  And you can't do
> > that from a trigger.
>
> Ew, yeah, okay, I could see that having odd side-effects in a few
> cases... So what you're saying is we should do this in new-kernel-pkg?
> ;) At least that would make it mostly mkinitrd's problem and not the
> kernel's...

When mdomsch, davej, jcm and I talked about it back in February, that
was the conclusion we reached.  It should be pretty simple, too -- just
pick a directory[1], run things out of it that are executable.

Again, leaving out whether or not its a good idea ;-)

Jeremy

[1] Likely to be the most difficult part