-vanilla builds.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 05:03:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 06:52:41AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
 > On 29.08.2007 21:05, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > I'd like to move forward on us getting vanilla builds out for testers.
 >
 > I'm willing to help here if there is anything I can do.
 >
 > > There are a couple things worth thinking about, which I'd like other
 > > peoples thoughts on.
 > >
 > > * The location of the binaries - I think we ended up settling
 > >   on putting them on people.fedoraproject.org.
 >
 > My vote is still to ship them in the proper repos -- an idea lot of
 > people liked in last weeks discussion here. But people feared the space
 > requirements. But that's a problem on p.f.o as well afaics.

Nearly everyone else I've talked to about this seems to be
against that idea for whatever reasons.

 > > * how/where to building them.
 > >   AFAIK, it isn't possible to pass switches like --with-vanilla
 > >   to koji, so the two options are..
 > >   - build vanilla as part of the regular build
 > >     (not a great idea, it already takes hours to build
 > >      a complete set of kernels).
 >
 > How about a different package kernel-vanilla in CVS that can be build
 > independently of the normal build?

This means committing rebases to >1 place, which sounds like losing.
It doesn't really bring any advantages either afaics.

 > > [...]
 > > * dependancies.
 > >   This is the only remaining technical puzzle I think.
 > >   I'd like the vanilla rpms to install on FC6, F7, and rawhide.
 > >   Doing separate builds per distro is just going to kill me.
 >
 > But often needed, as people otherwise often can't build kernel modules
 > theirselfs, as GCC doesn't match (it does currently iirc, but often
 > there are different major versions of gcc in the different distros.

3rd party modules for kernel-vanilla brings up an interesting question.
For bugs found in kernel-vanilla, I want *everything* to go to
linux-kernel or bugzilla.kernel.org.   If reports there contain
any out-of-tree modules, they'll get closed out no questions asked.
AFAIAC, 3rd party modules are even less supportable on -vanilla
than they are on the regular fedora kernel.

For the minority that can't live without 3rd party modules, they
can build their own kernels, because building a full set of kernels
for each distro is time consuming enough that I only want to do
this once.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk