Getting rid of sysprof-kmod

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Dec 2 07:10:40 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 02:04:01AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:

 > >  > Upstream sources are at:
 > >  > http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/sysprof/
 > >
 > > The upstream kernel is likely to eventually get support for
 > > perfmon2 integrated, but this could really use more work.
 > > It's been in -mm for a while.  If there's anything that sysprof
 > > can do that perfmon can't (which would be surprising given
 > > perfmons featuritis) it would useful to talk with the perfmon
 > > developers so we can eventually arrive at an upstreamed solution
 > > and not have to worry about integrating out-of-tree patches.
 >
 > Until that happens can we please carry the patch in the Fedora kernel?
 > IIRC it's not invasive at all. And it's really annoying not being able
 > to use sysprof. Thanks.

The problem is I really hate adding patches that provide new user interfaces.
It's easy enough to add it, but it'll be a 'fedora-ism' that doesn't work
in any other distro, or with an upstream kernel.   And what happens
if someone starts building more things on top of the sysprof exports?

It's the same reason patches that add syscalls get vetoed. We don't
want to be in a situation where it appears we're locking users into
running our distro/kernel.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk