Contact

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:11:58 UTC 2007

arafat bouchafra wrote:
> H i   , and happy holidays for all !
>
> I'm a new member in fedora system developpement, if you  want to give me the
> ne cessary documentat ions about the kernel developpement.
>
> In the reality I want to make a mobile edition fedora, so for this project,
> I need some information about the processors technology, and some related
> hardware, and finally, if possible the mobile edition processors like ARM,
> samsung ... ect

Hi arafat, (Merry Christmas)
It sounds like you want to build Fedora to run on a windows mobile or palm os
type mobile device... (for instance on my Samsung Blackjack instead of WM5)

The Fedora kernel is generally a lightly-patched kernel; the sources used to
build the kernel rpms are almost stock upstream kernels from kernel.org.  If you
swap the kernel config for one targeted to a mobile device that the upstream
kernel supports (drivers!) then it probably will compile but you will need to
setup a cross compilation environment to do it.  But if the kernel.org sources
cannot compile and do not support the architecture you need then neither will
Fedora's kernel.

I don't know how much work anyone has done with the stock kernel on these ARM
based devices, but starting out trying to build Fedora for them is a big leap
unless you can already get a basic stock kernel to load on your device.  I would
suggest you need to start working without Fedora and be able to install a linux
from scratch setup or at least just get a kernel operational.

If you can already get a stock kernel running on the device, then your questions
are not specific enough for anyone to help you much.  If you just wanted to know
what processor setup Fedora is compiled and distributed for then maybe you can
just grab the kernel-devel packages and look at the kernel configs in them?

If you need more information about running/building any linux on an ARM based
device then this list won't be the place to get it, and you probably need to
just go googling and ask at kernel.org lists.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>