spec hacks for vanilla and git-based kernel rpm builds

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:50:13 UTC 2007

On 02/07/07, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> There's another reason I'd like to get this done for F8.
> I'd still really like us to ship 2.6.23 for f8, but with the shorter
> devel schedule, it's unclear if it's going to land upstream in time.
> We've shipped -rc's as GA kernels before, but I always felt 'dirty' for
> doing this (especially when we name them incorrectly).
> Shipping it with 'rc3' or whatever in the title seems a little more
> honest at least about what we're shipping, and at the same time,
> it prevents bad reviewers from writing "Fedora still ships with a 2.6.22
> kernel".

Sort of related to this - it's (usually? often?) the case that the
shipped kernel is based on a "stable" point release - eg. on this F-7
box, the kernel is based on 2.6.21.2 according to the %changelog, and
yet the kernel rpm is kernel-2.6.21-1.3228. Would it not be sensible
to also add that last point number?

Jonathan.

ps. Sorry to Dave for sending this mail to him alone rather than the list
pps. Why does this list not set the Reply-To to the list rather than
the message sender?