spec hacks for vanilla and git-based kernel rpm builds

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 18:11:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 07:51:23PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

 > >  > 2.6.22 is about 5-7 days away afaics; so it will have had around 73 days
 > >  > to get finished.
 > >  >
 > >  > Final devel freeze for F8 currently is 24 October 2007 -- that's 114
 > >  > days away from now; minus those ~6 days until 2.6.22; that leaves around
 > >  > 108 days for 2.6.23 to mature in time for the F8 freeze. I'd say that
 > >  > should work out when I look at the numbers from recent kernels found above.
 > > The concerns I have is that summertime is usually a slower period.
 > > People go to conferences, summits, beaches a lot more, so it could
 > > drag out a little.
 >
 > You have a point there -- just look at the numbers from 2.6.18 above
 > (2.6.17 was 18.06.2006) and one ca see that 2.6.18 took a bit longer.
 > But anyway:

actually, Red Hat was at least partly responsible for why .18 dragged
out a bit too.  When Linus & Andrew found out we were going to base
RHEL5 on it, they wanted to be sure that the final .18 on which we
built was fairly solid.  During -rc for that kernel quite a few
nasty long-drawn out bugs were found and fixed iirc.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk