Kernel rpm versioning changes

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 20:22:24 UTC 2007

Okay, here's the first draft of spec changes to alter the kernel rpm
version and release fields to more closely match what the actual
upstream kernel base is. Its heavily commented at the moment to try to
explain what's going on.

The basic approach is this:

1st fedora build of 2.6.21.5:
kernel-2.6.21.5-1.fc7

2nd fedora build of 2.6.21.5:
kernel-2.6.21.5-2.fc7

1st fedora build of 2.6.22-rc6-git3:
kernel-2.6.22-0.rc6.git3.1.fc8

2nd fedora build of 2.6.22-rc7:
kernel-2.6.22-0.rc7.2.fc8

...and so on. Added bonus on rc/git builds: you set the rc and git
revisions near the top of the spec, and the needed patches are
automagically generated in the right place.

At least from spectool's point of view, I've got this working perfectly
from the generated n-v-r standpoint for all of the above combos and then
some. A test build of kernel-2.6.22-0.rc7.1.fc8 just finished building
with one error, which I've traced the source of -- debug files come from
the source tree, which is still versioned with the base kernel version.
This should be fixed in the attached diff, but the build is still
underway to verify that. Regardless of that, I'd like some feedback
before going much further down the current path. Everything between
"hey, that looks good!" and "what in the blue hell are you thinking?"
welcomed. :) (Even better if you have suggestions for improvement).

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com