Kernel rpm versioning changes

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jul 4 09:10:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 04:22:24PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Okay, here's the first draft of spec changes to alter the kernel rpm
> version and release fields to more closely match what the actual
> upstream kernel base is. Its heavily commented at the moment to try to
> explain what's going on.
>
> The basic approach is this:
>
> 1st fedora build of 2.6.21.5:
> kernel-2.6.21.5-1.fc7
>
> 2nd fedora build of 2.6.21.5:
> kernel-2.6.21.5-2.fc7
>
> 1st fedora build of 2.6.22-rc6-git3:
> kernel-2.6.22-0.rc6.git3.1.fc8
>
> 2nd fedora build of 2.6.22-rc7:
> kernel-2.6.22-0.rc7.2.fc8

I'd suggest

kernel-2.6.22-1.rc6.git3.fc8
kernel-2.6.22-2.rc7.fc8

an no resetting of the buildtag (the first integer) when rc6 becomes
rc7 and the like

o The shove-the-zero-in-front method is a method from the past when a
  third party would assume the vendor to start using Release tags
  starting with "1" and needed to make the package
  auto-overridable. But it makes no sense whatsoever to have the
  vendor himself do that ...
  (yes, it's part of the current guideline, but worth fixing and this
  could be a motivation to do so, not that many packages use
  non-released upstream - the kernel is the very exception here)

o The buildtag doesn't mix well with the upstream extra version. "Is it
  rc6.git3 or rc6.git3.1?" "Are there rc7.2 upstream releases?"

o indepdendence of the rpm-ordering of upstream's extra versioning,
  e.g. not basing the versioing scheme on facts that "git" < "rc", so
  "we're lucky this time"- ;)
  The don't-reset-buildtag-on-prereleases allows upstream to do
  anything they like and you're safe.

o It also fits well with the non rc packaging scheme, e.g. going form
  git28 to rc1, then rc2.git1 etc. You just increase the buildtag and
  let upstream put the steam off wth any sub versioning they
  like. Yes, finally you'll end up with

  kernel-2.6.22-23.f8

  That's OK, we've been in 4 figure integers already.

And if someone really needs the first 2.6.22 build to be called
kernel-2.6.22-1.f8, then modify the above to using "0.integer", e.g.

kernel-2.6.22-0.1.rc6.git3.fc8
kernel-2.6.22-0.2.rc7.fc8

Still better to prepend the upstream's extra version part than to
suffix it due to the ordering issues and the semantic mixing effects.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net