kmods poll

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Jun 19 20:44:38 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> I'd like to just do a brief poll here just to see how many are yay or
> nay for kmods.  And I'm not talking about their current implementation
> or the other various ways that the idea can be accomplished, but rather
> on the idea of having kernel modules as separate packages in general.
>
> If you're against the general idea and want to follow up with reasons
> why that's fine.  I just want to avoid implementation discussions at the
> moment if possible.

I'm not sure where I stand, on one hand I would love to see something like the
UVC driver to be in a kmod until merged upstream, to add support for recent
webcams.

OTOH, maintaining kmods and especially keeping the repo depsolving 100% with
them may be a pain.

I think that atleast we need a rule that if it isn't heading upstream, there
need to be real good reasons to have it in Fedora, if it is heading upstream I
think providing a kmod for a while as a service might be a good idea.

Does anyone know for example why the lirc kernel module has never gone upstream?

Regards,

Hans