Rethinking the Ralink wireless driver situation

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:36:28 UTC 2007

2007/6/20, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> In F-7 a decision was made to bundle in the rt2x00 wireless drivers
> for Ralink cards. I contend this was a poor decision because, simply
> put, they do not work. Not for any ralink chipset device I have tried
> (and I've tried several). Upstream rt2x00 developers have also gone on
> a 3 month development hiatus. See: http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/
>
> But, upstream also maintains what they refer to as enhanced legacy
> drivers - basically the open source drivers provided by Ralink but
> polished to be more consistent with general use (eg. ripping out the
> odd /etc/Wireless configuration tree, and placing firmware in
> /lib/firmware). This work *really* well on all devices I have tried
> for which rtx00 does not work. It's a hassle for an end user to
> install them though, as it involves blacklisting the broken rtx00
> modules. Not a big deal, but it wrecks the "out of the box"
> experience.
>
> So, please please consider bundling the rt2400, rt2500, rt2470, rt61
> and rt73 drivers for F-8 and ditching rt2x00 until they make it into
> the upstream kernel.
>
> Jonathan.

Hi!

Some users report them to work well with or without RutilT tool
(which is currently in review). This tool was design primarily to
support special function of the legacies drivers but should work with
new rt2x00 version also...
see here http://cbbk.free.fr/bonrom/
and here :  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/202521
I probably miss the right PAM implementation so you need to lauch it
as root for now:
su -
rutilt

Nicolas (kwizart)

PS Dave : Sorry for the mail, i miss the reply all...