Problems with kernel updates needing non-kernel changes

Chuck Ebbert cebbert at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 16:54:41 UTC 2007

So far we seem to hit a few different problems when upgrading
kernels.

1) mkinitrd may need changing, e.g. the raid4, raid5 and raid6
   modules were combined into raid456 a while ago, breaking
   mkinitrd completely on raid machines.

2) some modules may now work that were broken, but they need
   new options, like snd-hda-intel which now works on my acer
   notebook if "probe_mask=1" is added to the module options.

3) like (2) but options may need to be removed. suddenly drivers
   that worked refuse to load becuase they no longer recognize
   options that used to be valid.

I'm especially concerned about (2) and (3) because there doesn't
seem to be a system in place to update driver options after the
system is installed. We can collect the needed changes but the
logic to do all of this is in anaconda, and can only be applied
during system install, as far as I can tell.