What use is the kernel-debuginfo package?

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 20:59:21 UTC 2007

> Roland McGrath wrote:
> >  (Try "help set debug-file-directory" in gdb.  The elfutils
> > tools and their --debuginfo-path option are similar.)
>
> That's the missing piece. Thanks.
>
> But still, I have to do a --debuginfo-path that's different for
> each module.  e.g. for ata modules it's <...>/drivers/ata/ and
> for crypto it's <...>/crypto/. Shouldn't the final part of the
> path be in the .gnu_debuginfo?

No.  Sorry, I was unclear on the exact meaning.  From a libdwfl.h comment:

   If the first character of the string is + or - that says to check or to
   ignore (respectively) the CRC32 checksum from the .gnu_debuglink
   section.  The default is to check it.  The remainder of the string is
   composed of elements separated by colons.  Each element can start with +
   or - to override the global checksum behavior.  If the remainder of the
   element is empty, the directory containing the main file is tried; if
   it's an absolute path name, the absolute directory path containing the
   main file is taken as a subdirectory of this path; a relative path name
   is taken as a subdirectory of the directory containing the main file.
   Hence for /bin/ls, string ":.debug:/usr/lib/debug" says to look in /bin,
   then /bin/.debug, then /usr/lib/debug/bin, for the file name in the
   .gnu_debuglink section (or "ls.debug" if none was found).  */