Longing for git-bisect

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 28 10:57:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 11:43 +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 19:41 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Has anyone played with keeping the Fedora kernel in a git tree
> > somewhere?  Current rawhide makes my T60p weep on a regular basis in the
> > form of nice hard lockups with no oops output or anything.  I'd love to
> > be able to do a bisect on the kernel and see where things started going
> > south.
>
> I've got a script which takes one of our kernel CVS trees and unpacks it
> incrementally into a git repo.  I use it privately in order to get git
> trees for RHEL-4,5, rawhide etc. as a baseline for my own kernel working
> trees.
>
> In theory we should be able to use something like that for a proper CVS-
> to-git mirror at the exploded-tree (not CVS pristine+patches) level,
> which would be perfect for git bisecting.  We'd just need to wrap it in
> a script which looks for new tags on the CVS trunk and pulls those in
> order into the git tree.

Hm...  but that isn't going to be very finely grained if I'm
understanding you correctly.  Basically you'd have a single commit for
the -rc patches, etc.

For git bisect, you'd almost want the opposite of that.  So take the git
tree upstream, and only commit the patches in CVS that aren't in that.
Then when bisecting you still get the nice granularity and can figure
out which upstream commit broke things.

Right?

josh