Debugging Soft Lockups in FC kernels

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:22:48 UTC 2007

Hi,

With FC-6 I have been seeing a lot of soft lockups with all shipped
kernels on my Dell x86_64 SMP machines. For example, inserting a USB
key triggers a soft lockup, as does the VMWare bridged interface. I
realize the latter taints the kernel, but the former happens with
untainted FC-6 kernels (i.e. the vmware stuff not installed let alone
loaded). Anyway, I have reported bugs, detailing the stack trace that
pops up in dmesg, but I get the feeling this isn't that helpful for
debugging.

So, my general question is this: What extra things could I do to provide more
information about soft lockups?

Best wishes,
Jonathan