Qlogic firmware isn't in the FC7 kernel

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 21:06:38 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 16:16 -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
>> Apparently the qlogic drivers don't have any firmware included in FC7,
>> so nobody can actually use a qlogic adapter. Should we be patching the
>> kernel like in FC6 or do we need a separate package? Or maybe the
>> firmware goes in the kernel package?
>>
>> Peter says the support for Anaconda / mkinitrd to load the firmware
>> is already written, so we could do it either way.
>
> If it fits these guidelines:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware

Yeah. I saw those. But the problem is that this might be needed in the
bootpath. We /probably/ don't want the kernel package depending on a
billion of these other packages for the moment - do we? Wouldn't it just
be easier to have the firmware in that package for now, since it used to
be in the kernel anyway? Eventually we need to fix this differently.

Jon.