Pre-release kernel versioning

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue May 1 08:30:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 10:26 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> But calling something foo (2.6.20) if upstream calls itself bar (2.6.21)
>  just created addition problems for Fedora users and contributors (like
> in this madwifi case). So why obscure the version number it? Why not
> follow upstream, which is afaik one of the goals of Fedora.

We can't name it like upstream -- we can't actually use the '-rc1'
postfix. So whatever we'll do will have to be different from upstream.
There really is little point in changing what we've been doing for
years, and what people are used to.

There will _always_ be muppets out there who complain about it just
because it's Fedora. And out-of-tree modules will always be painful.
Screwing with nomenclature really doesn't change either of those.

--
dwmw2