hardcoded mkinitrd dep?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed May 2 13:24:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 08:15:25AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
 > On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 13:09 +0200, dragoran wrote:
 > > I was testing f7 kernels on fc6 recently to test iwlwifi and I noticed
 > > that the kernel depends on a newer mkinitrd for (no?) reason...
 > > I install the kernels with --nodeps and the boot up fine, the new initrd
 > > also looks ok (has the pata modules etc.)
 > > what was the reason for this?
 > > a broken mkinitrd version between fc6 and the reuquired one that should
 > > be avoided?
 >
 > I know that a newer mkinitrd fixes an issue where creating a non-xen
 > initrd while running a xen kernel would leave a segfaulting initrd upon
 > boot into that new kernel.  I suspect that is the reason (if there
 > aren't more) that the kernel requires it.

the dep is there primarily for the scsi_wait_scan change that isn't
in the FC6 mkinitrd afaik.  In some cases, you'll get away without it
if your disks respond to the controller and spin up fast enough,
in other cases, you'll get bitten with the dreaded 'cant mount root'

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk