PAE versus HIGHMEM64

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Sun Sep 16 18:14:57 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Which brings me to the point why I'm writing this mail: should we enable
> PAE by default after F8 is out and ship a HIGHMEM64G-Kernel instead on
> x86-32? Then normal users on x86-32 can benefit from NX by default. Or
> is that considered "not worth the trouble because we ship execshield
> already"?
>
> Further: Does PAE-by-default still make lots of machines unbootable (I
> doubt that for newer machines, as some-well-known-other-os enables PAE
> since its service pack 2 by default iirc)? If we suspect it still does:
> could we fix that by some kind of automatic "if machine is newer than
> ${year}" check in the kernel?
>
> Just wondering.

Yes, it does still tend to break machines, especially laptops and older
machines (we run into this a lot with Xen, since we only ship a PAE
variant there).  Unfortunately, PAE is a compile time option, not
something that can (currently) be turned on or off at runtime.  It would
be nice to make it a runtime option (IIRC, OpenSolaris does this), but I
don't know if it is worth the effort given that 32-bit should be
becoming less and less common.

Chris Lalancette