Fedora kernel build failure: *** ERROR: same build ID in nonidentical files!

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Feb 8 18:08:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 13:22 -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> Oh wait, the "copied not linked" warning probaby explains the whole thing.
> The /usr/lib/debug copy is not stripped, so it's not identical.

But isn't eu-elfcmp supposed to report that it matches? If I take a copy
of a vmlinux file I happen to have lying around, then run eu-strip on it
and eu-elfcmp to compare the two, that doesn't report that they differ
-- and it _shouldn't_, should it?

> Yeah, ok.  I wonder why this wasn't happening before.

> I think it is just fixed by resolving the problems with too many copies of
> vmlinux.

Which problems are those? It would be good to get this resolved ASAP so
that we can start building the kernel again...

--
dwmw2