Linux scsi / usb-mass-storage and HP printer cardreader bug + fix

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Jan 9 21:44:49 UTC 2008

Hi All,

First of all sorry for the somewhat massive cross-posting, I've spend a
significant amount of time hunting down this bug, and so far the response has
been less the overwhelming.

The problem is with the HP PSC 1350 (my printer and confirmed by 2 others) and
atleast also the HP PSC 1610 (confirmed by Guillaume Bedot, in the CC).

The cardreader of the multi function printers will "crash" and from that moment
on no longer communicate in any sane way, if you try to read the last sector of
an sdcard* in a read that is more then 1 sector, so trying to read 8 sectors
starting at sector capicity-8 will crash it, as will reading 2 sectors starting
at sector capicity-2, however reading the last sector in a one 1 sector read
will succeed! (* xdcards seem to be fine).

I haven't tried if it will crash on larger then 1 sector writes which include
the last sector too, I immediately added code to not do that in both the read
and write paths. I have tested reading and writing the end of the disk with
this kludge in and it works.

I currently have a somewhat ugly proof of concept patch for this, which adds
another type of usb-massstorage quirk. When this quirk flag is set, the
usb-massstorage driver modifies READ_10 and WRITE_10 commands of more then 1
sector which includes the last sector to become one sector less. I've been told
by scsi subsystem developers that doing a shorter read / write then requested
is not a problem, the scsi subsystem is designed to handle getting less then it
asked for and will send a seperate request for the last sector.

I and 3 others (2 on a PSC 1350 too, one on a PSC1610) have tested this patch
with success. I'm not asking for this patch to be included to the kernel as is,
I'm asking for the now known workaround for this to be added to the kernel in
someway!

Perhaps its an idea to add the posibility to have a scsi command filter
function / callback to the scsi or usb-massstorage subsystem, and then add a
mechanism to set this filter depending on usb id's and if added to the scsi
layer, a mechanism to set it based on scsi device and manufacturer
identification strings. Such a mechanism might be usefull in the future to work
around other broken hardware too, and has the added advantage of not having
todo much changes to the normal code path, keep that readable.

I'm willing to come up with a patch for such a filter mechanism, provided I get
some pointers where this is best added.

Thanks & Regards,

Hans

p.s.

I've also included the fedora-kernel list in the addressee's because I was
hoping that maybe someone can take one of these printers to the kernel hackfest
   in the weekend's fudcon and take a look at this.