gspca as part of the rawhide kernel?

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 20:47:37 UTC 2008

2008/7/3 Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> Hi all,
>
> As some of you know I've been working on improving webcam support under
> Fedora, see:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport
> http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/
>
> One of the things I've been working on is in beating gspcav2 (a v4l2 port of
> gspca) into shape, although I must admit most of the work has been done by
> Jean-François Moine, the latest version is available from his mercurial tree
> and it has been pulled into the official v4l-dvb tree for wider testing.
> Once it has been in the v4l-dvb tree it will make its way into the mainline
> hopefuly for 2.6.27, if not then certainly fotr 2.6.28.
>
> To check it out see:
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca/
>
> Some time ago I've already done a review of the gspca_core and there are
> some locking issues to solve (I already know how, I just need to code them
> out).
>
> Once this is done I would like to see gspcav2 be added to the Fedora kernel,
> as to make the:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterWebcamSupport
>
> Feature a reality (also needs userspace work, I'm on this).
>
> So my questions are:
> 1) would it be acceptable to cary the gspca driver as a patch (only new
> files
>   and makefile / kconfig changes doesn't touch anything else) until it is
>   merged upstream. Note that this is much needed for wider webcam support
> and
>   that gspca is on its way to the mainline now, and I'll personally will be
>   working on ironing out any issues upstream may have with gspca as is.
>
> 2) Assuming the answer to 1 is yes, how do I move forward, can I get be
> added
>   to the kernel package acl, what are the procedures for adding a patch and
>   building a new kernel, etc?

Personally I'd love to see this in rawhide. If you have a patch that
applies against the current rawhide kernel then scratch-building one
in koji isn't too much of a greater leap. Maybe DaveJ and the other
kernel bods would be happier if i's cleanly applying and won't need
much maintenance. Just note in the kernel.spec to append a buildid
(e.g. gspca) - more info here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

Cheers

--