When will we stop shipping WLAN improvements ahead of upstream in released Fedora version?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 16:30:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 11:37 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> So, here is what I propose:
> -- continue the current practice until 2.6.26 is released and the
> 2.6.27 merge window closes;
>
> -- after that, continue the current practice for updating rawhide; but,

Definitely makes good sense for rawhide.  We may want to decide to go to
the "released" practice at some point late in the cycle, but that's
fine-tuning probably

> -- once F9 (and presumably F8) move to 2.6.26, move the -pending bits
> to the -wireless.patch and do _not_ create a new -pending.patch for
> 2.6.28 bits;
> -- once 2.6.27 is released, drop the -wireless patch and F9/F8 will
> get no more wireless updates at all;

This sounds reasonable.  And to be fair, they will get wireless updates,
but only when they get other drivers (eg, by going to 2.6.28) or things
that are small and pushed to -stable upstream

> -- F10 will release with -wireless and -pending patches inherited from
> rawhide, but they will "age out" following the process described for
> F9/F8 above.

Yep.

> I will defer to the judgment of the group -- as I've said I spend
> a lot more time keeping Fedora up-to-date than I would like to
> be doing.  Just don't expect me to transfer that effort over to
> tireless cherry-picking of fixes, for I just do not have the time.

I like the proposal and think it makes for a good balance -- we test new
stuff to go into new releases and then the filtering process for older
releases is based on when things make it upstream.

Jeremy