kernel-xen f9 spec update

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Mar 31 07:52:23 UTC 2008

Hi Jarod,

(Copying fedora-kernel-list so other folks know what we're at)

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 15:19 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> We recently tweaked the main kernel package's spec file such that we now
> include arch in uname -r output, and have standardized a bunch of path names
> to match. Completely forgot about kernel-xen in the process, until yesterday,
> when I started porting everything over the the kernel-xen-2.6/devel spec.
>
> The attached spec patch has been build-tested, with some manual inspection of
> the resulting packages, but hasn't yet been run-time tested for possible
> issues (none expected, but you never know...). I'll happily help out with any
> possible issues if you guys could give this a spin.
>
> Definitely want this in ASAP so the kernel and kernel-xen bits stay mostly in
> sync (speaking of which, there's also some rpmposttrans stuff -- dkms
> hooks -- which went into the main kernel spec a bit ago that I don't see in
> the kernel-xen-2.6 spec

Thanks for the heads-up and the patch. I'm planning on rebasing
kernel-xen-2.6/devel to the latest kernel/devel sometime this week, so
we'll pick up all this stuff.

We eventually plan to get rid of the separate kernel-xen RPM altogether,
but that will probably have to wait until we get most of the x86_64 and
dom0 work upstream.

In the meantime, we do intend to keep closely in sync with the latest
stock kernel, and we're currently doing that using two git trees:

 a) http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=linux-2.6-fedora-pvops.git
 b) http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=kernel-xen-rpm.git

If you look at e.g. the kernel-xen-2_6-2_6_25-0_6_rc4_fc9 tag for each
of those you'll see a (a) a bunch of commits on top of the fedora kernel
source tree and (b) a bunch of commits on top of kernel/devel from CVS.

Each time we sync up with a new kernel version, we import a "make prep"
tree into (a) and the corresponding kernel/devel tag from CVS into (b)
and then use git to rebase the commits from the last kernel-xen tag for
both of these.

The easier we can make this rebasing process, the more frequent we'll
rebase. Right now, I've got a few lame scripts to:

  1) Import the result of "make prep" into (a)
  2) Import a kernel/devel CVS tag into (b)
  3) Export the xen patches from (a) and include them into the spec
     file in (b)
  4) Copy everything from (b) to kernel-xen-2.6/devel

but it's all still quite manual and error prone.

Cheers,
Mark.