X600 driver instability?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Oct 14 04:34:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 12:55 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> I'm trying to stabilise the 3D driver again for compiz, we've rewritten
> radeon support pretty much from scratch for F10 so I'm now fixing the
> bugs.

It's worth saying, this is an F-9 install, with the latest kernel. I do
run rawhide, but only under virtual machines with emulated hardware.

> Isn't desktop effect unuseably slow for you? I thought the speed might
> stop people from using it long before the crashing.

Nope, actually for over a year X600 was perfectly rock solid, desktop
effects worked just fantastic, and I was actually able to make people
who looked at my machine think "hey, this desktop Linux thing aint
bad" (ok, they might just think "this Linux thing" there).

So whatever happened in recent *F-9* updates broke it :)

Jon.