de-modularising for the win!

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Sep 18 21:27:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:13:55PM -0700, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> See various and sundry plumber's conf discussions.
>
> Comments? (The netfilter stuff needs further investigation.)

This _is_ Fedora we're talking about, not RHEL, right? :-)
/me has had to replace way too many kernel modules from RHEL, which
can't be done if it's built-in.

But Fedora, where we could ship a new kernel every day if we had to?
Sure.

In this most drivers are still modular, just the often-used hotpaths
are built-in, right?  This avoids extra TLB lookups?  Whatever
happened to mapping modules into the extra space at the end of the
kernel's 2MB TLB entries, to get the same benefit?

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux