de-modularising for the win!

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 23:00:58 UTC 2008

Chris Snook wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> See various and sundry plumber's conf discussions.

> -CONFIG_MAC80211=m
> +CONFIG_MAC80211=y
> -CONFIG_IEEE80211=m
> +CONFIG_IEEE80211=y
>
> Won't this make it harder for people to test experimental wireless drivers?
> Unless the vendors start opening specs, we're going to have a perpetual need to
> play around in this area with each new hardware rev.

I have this concern (brought it up before with Arjan too...) about
filesystem stuff.  For testing this means I can't lazily load my own
custom modules into a pre-built kernel but oh well... it does make it
harder to deliver test modules to users though.

> -CONFIG_SND=m
> +CONFIG_SND=y
> -CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
> +CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
> -CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
> -CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
> +CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
> +CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
> -CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
> +CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=y
> -CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m
> +CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=y
> -CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=m
> +CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=y
>
> For the love of god, no.  We have lots of sound problems that require modprobe
> magic to troubleshoot and work around.  This will require people to rebuild
> their kernel just to test sound fixes, which will scare away an awful lot of
> testers and inconvenience the rest.

does sound have to be initialized as part of the boot process?

> -CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
> +CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
>
> I've been wondering for years why we weren't already doing this.

see above, but I can live with it.  Will we add ext4 and xfs (and
reiserfs and jfs) too?

-Eric