de-modularising for the win!

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 20:26:13 UTC 2008

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:02:54 +0200
> Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> - killing the initrd for that general 90% case can be a big win
>> You aren't going to kill the initrd for a default fedora install due
>> to root-on-lvm.
>
> why do we have root-on-lvm by default on laptops again?

Because lots of Fedora developers multi-boot and/or use virtualization on their
laptops, and lay users can't tell the difference.

That said, I'm all in favor of having installation profiles for laptops,
desktops, workstations, servers, etc. with their own sets of defaults.  I'm just
not enough in favor of it to learn the anaconda innards and do it, which is
probably the same reason nobody else has done it either.

-- Chris