de-modularising for the win!

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 14:33:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 10:25 -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> if a user is rebuilding their libata subsystem and replacing the
> modules, or replacing their alsa modules, or whatnot, they've already
> voided the "i'd like to help you" implied contract in open source, so
> they should just go run and support their own kernel.

Yay! So then one day we can look forward to everything being built in
and a user wanting to build a webcam driver having to build their own
kernel too. Then we'll really have won because that user - who can
follow some straightforward instructions on a website showing them how
to build a driver and install it - will give up and go use Ubuntu.

Just because we can build our own kernels with whatever patches does not
mean that all users who want to add a driver are capable of this.

Jon.