TuxOnIce in the official Fedora Kernel?

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Thu Apr 2 08:32:40 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm using Fedora on two laptops for quite some time now (since F8).
Having used suspend-to-disk very often I can conclude, that I'm not
happy with the performance it shows. Suspending a laptop with just
1GB of memory takes about 30 to 60 seconds here and nearly the same
for resuming. The same laptop on Windows (sorry ;-)) got it done in
about 10 seconds each.
What I did some time ago, was to switch to the TuxOnIce[1] patched
kernels from atrpms. Not only does TuxOnIce show a progressbar (even
with splash if wanted) during suspend and resume, it also handles
the process in the expected 10 to 15 seconds.

Since Fedora patches the Kernel anyway, I propose adding TuxOnIce
(also known as Suspend2) into the official Fedora Kernel. It doesn't
hurt those who don't use suspend-to-disk anyway but benefits those
who do.
Also it could probably rather easy be integrated with Plymouth to
show a nice animation during suspend and resume. (Though that would
be optional :-P)

I hope you take at least the time to consider it for a few moments.

Thanks in Advance,
Andreas Schneider.

[1] http://www.tuxonice.net/