EDAC on AMD with Fedora 10

Aristeu Rozanski aris at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 12:36:10 UTC 2009

> > According to the kernel Kconfig file it's only available for old 32-bit
> > Athlons, and it is in the i686 kernel(s).
> >

> > config EDAC_AMD76X
> >         tristate "AMD 76x (760, 762, 768)"
> >         depends on EDAC_MM_EDAC && PCI && X86_32
> >         help
> >           Support for error detection and correction on the AMD 76x
> >           series of chipsets used with the Athlon processor.
>
> Thanks. I didn't realise it was only 32 bit athlons only.
>
> Any idea what EDAC modules 64 bit Athlon 64s should use? Under RHEL the
> k8_edac module provides ECC checking, but this module no longer exists as
> far as I can tell in Fedora 10.
>
> I seems strange that Fedora doesn't support ECC on AMD systems, but RHEL
> does!
the reason for that is that k8_edac is not upstream. k8_edac and amd64_edac
are available at http://bluesmoke.sf.net/. To explain why: on 64 bit athlons
the ECC error reporting is done by MCE events and because of that, k8_edac
and amd64_edac need to have access to MCE registers but the developers never
managed to convince the mcelog maintainer to share those registers. it's a
long (ongoing) story.

--
Aristeu