arch fun.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Feb 6 11:20:03 UTC 2009

On 06.02.2009 12:07, Prarit Bhargava wrote:

> Dave Jones wrote:
>>  > 2.  Will we eventually rename kernel-PAE.686 to kernel.686?
>> I don't think we can, otherwise someone with non-PAE 686's who
>> does an update will suddenly find themselves unable to boot.
> I was thinking about this for a little while.
> [...]
> I'm probably missing something obvious

Yes -- all that have kernel.i686 installed now would get the new
kernel.i686 later (the one with PAE). But the latter will not boot on
all machines where the curret kernel.i686 works. If there is no
kernel.i686 (because it is named kernel-PAE.i686), then yum/anaconda
will automatically install kernel.i586, which is what should happen to
make sure all system still boot after updating.

But maybe some yum/anaconda plugin/magic could automatically select the
best kernel on update. Not sure, but something like that might be needed
for Live-CD-Installs anyway

CU
knurd