Switching Fedora to pae kernel by default?

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 17:14:30 UTC 2009

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> That said, we currently do install the PAE kernel if you have 4 GB+ of
> RAM[1].  Switching to it by default is problematic because then we're
> back to using different kernels for different cases

You have that now, don't you?  One case for <4GB and one for >=4GB.
Worse, if you install more memory, the kernel doesn't see it.

Downgrading your CPU to one which does not support PAE should be rare.

> and it also makes
> the 'what do you with the live image' case a lot more complex.

I'd just go with PAE here.

> The _real_ fix here is to get PAE runtime much like was finally done
> with SMP :-)

Patches, as they say, are welcome.  But you could install both kernels
and have the bootloaded choose (sticks wax balls into ears).